If you or a loved one have suffered as a result of neglect or abuse then you may be able to bring a claim for compensation for the physical or psychological injury caused.

Claiming compensation for abuse

Abuse of the young, elderly and vulnerable can occur in a number of settings including care and nursing homes, day centres, schools and nursery settings, leisure and sports facilities, clubs, hospitals and even an individual’s own home. If you or a loved one have suffered as a result of abusive treatment then our team of Abuse and Negligence lawyers may be able to help you bring a claim for compensation. In addition to the compensation for the abuse we will discuss with you any appropriate compensation claims that may be sought for rehabilitation and counselling services.

Our team of abuse and negligence lawyers can advise on a wide range of abuse scenarios including:

  • emotional / psychological abuse
  • financial abuse
  • physical abuse
  • sexual abuse

If there has been a criminal conviction as a result of the abuse, this will of course aid you in your claim for compensation. However, if a criminal prosecution has not been successful it will not necessarily prevent an abuse compensation claim being made.

Claiming compensation for neglect

Our team of neglect lawyers deal with a wide range of child and elderly care claims arising out of a number of environments such as:

  • care homes
  • holiday companies
  • local authorities
  • nurseries
  • schools
  • private individuals

Abuse & neglect compensation FAQs

A family member died as a result of care home neglect – can we bring a claim on their behalf?

Yes and our team have succeeded in actions against a number of care homes for sub-standard care.

I was abused by a family member and the local authority left me in their care – who would my claim be against?

The ability of the Defendant to meet any potential award of damages will obviously be a factor, but this can be discussed during the fee initial no obligation discussion.

Will I have to go to court to give evidence about my abuse?

The majority of cases are settled successfully without the need for a formal court hearing, but a small number of cases do go to trial.

How do you charge for your services in an abuse compensation claim?

The majority of our cases are conducted on a no-win no-fee basis, so there will be no charge to you if the case is unsuccessful.

I reported the abuse to the Police but unfortunately the criminal prosecution didn’t succeed – will this stop me claiming compensation?

There is a higher threshold to overcome when bringing a criminal prosecution, which if unsuccessful does not preclude your being able to bring a civil claim.

The abuse happened a long time ago, can I still claim compensation?

Whilst there is a limitation period governing claims of this nature, this time limit does not start to run until you reach the age of 18. There are exceptions to the time limits which will vary depending on the circumstances of the case. You should seek advice as soon as possible.

If I bring a civil claim for compensation will it become public knowledge that I was abused?

The claims process is confidential, so it will not become common knowledge.

Contact us

If you suspect that your loved one is receiving negligent or abusive treatment; or you are a victim of abuse and do not know where to turn then please contact a member of our Abuse and Negligence team for guidance. Our team can be contacted on Freephone: 0808 164 0808 for a FREE, no-obligation chat. Alternatively, you can complete the request a call back form and we will call you.