How our Accidents in Public Spaces (Public Liability) specialists can help

Accidents in Public Spaces (Public Liability) frequently asked questions

School accident claims can be made about accidents that cause an illness or injury to your child. In order for a school accident claim to be successful, the school has to be at fault for the injury. We can provide guidance to you about this. Below is a list of common school injury claims:
  • Playground injury claims – tripping over, falling from climbing frames, slipping over;
  • Dangerous walkways – corridors or pathways on school premises being unsafe because of spillages or because an outdoor pathway has not been gritted in snow or ice conditions
  • Classroom injury claims – slipping or tripping, injury from faulty furniture, injury caused by lifting heavy objects;
  • School trip injury claims – injury caused while on a school trip under the guardianship of the school staff;
  • School bus accident claims – injury while on board due to faulty seating, or any other faulty equipment. This also applies to minibuses;
  • Being injured after using damaged equipment;
  • Injuries related to physical activity, for example during P.E lessons;
  • Illnesses caused by school food;
  • Injuries caused from being exposed to asbestos while at school.
If you or your child suffers an injury on school premises, it’s important that it is reported to a member of staff. Schools should have a policy in place that states all accidents should be recorded. This will mean that they can properly investigate and try to avoid the same thing happening again. It will also assist with evidence you need for a school injury claim. If you are able to do so taking photographs of defective equipment or a dangerous pathway for example can be very helpful. You should also keep receipts for any expenses incurred as a consequence of an accident.
When a child is under the age of 18 then a claim is started by their parent or guardian. The child is the claimant but an adult has to act on their behalf. That adult is called a “litigation friend”. Note: If you are partly responsible for your child’s school injury, you will not be able to claim as their litigation friend.

Kind words from our clients

Get in touch with our no win, no fee Accidents in Public Spaces (Public Liability) solicitors today

If you need to talk to someone sooner you can call us for free on 0808 164 0808

Contact us now

Icon of a speechbubble chat window