Health & Safety (HSE) at work figures suggest that, on average, lift trucks are involved in about 25% of all workplace transport accidents. Accidents involving forklift trucks (sometimes referred to as ‘Reach Trucks’ or ‘Lift Trucks’ or ‘Fork Lift Trucks’) are often due to poor supervision and a lack of training.
Common accident circumstances involving a forklift truck include:
- inadequate servicing of the forklift
- travelling at excessive speed
- riding with the load elevated
- improper turning, braking, accelerating or backing up techniques
- failure to warn others about a forklift in use nearby
- riding or giving rides on the forklift or the load
- improper parking of the Forklift.
Organisational factors that can contribute to a forklift truck accident include:
- failure by the employer to provide appropriate training on how to operate and use the forklift truck
- pressure to work at speed or under stress
- lack of proper tools, attachments and accessories
- poorly maintained or old Forklifts.
Duty of care
Employers are obliged to ensure the safety of their workers and the public by putting in place measures to avoid forklift truck accidents. If you or a loved one has sustained an injury at work and would like to make a forklift truck accident compensation claim please contact our team of Personal Injury (PI) lawyers.
It is important to note that it is still possible to bring a forklift truck accident compensation claim if your forklift truck injury in the workplace was as a result of the negligent acts of another member of staff.
Time limit to make a forklift truck accident compensation claim
An injured person generally has three years from the date of an accident to bring a forklift truck accident compensation claim, although there are a few exceptions, which our legal team will be able to advise you upon.
Employment legal issues as a result of the accident at work
Our legal team can also assist you with any employment issues that may arise as a result of an accident at work. If you are dismissed or suffer a “detriment” because you have reported a health & safety issue or bring a claim for personal injury then you could also have an employment claim.
In addition to representing you in respect of a claim for compensation our legal team can also make arrangements to ensure that you attain the appropriate level of rehabilitation following your accident.
If you would like to discuss making a forklift truck accident compensation claim for compensation please call one of our Personal Injury (PI) lawyers on Freephone: 0808 164 0808 for a FREE, no-obligation chat or complete the request a call back form and we will call you.