Cycling, whether as a mode of transport to and from work, a leisurely activity or a competitive sport, is increasingly popular among all groups. But accidents can happen and when on busy roads with vehicles, the impact of these accidents can be permanent or even fatal.
If you’re a cyclist who has been hit by a car, or a loved one has suffered as a result of a cycling collision, get in touch with our specialist cycle accident solicitors today. You can call us free on 0808 164 0808 or request a call back, and one of our personal injury team will call you.
We are specialists in cycle accident compensation claims with over 30 years’ experience. We help our fellow cyclists who may be injured as a result of non-fault cycling accidents to recover compensation, rehabilitation and replacement bikes from the individual or organisation responsible for the accident.
Cycling injury claims: FAQs
Below, we’ve answered some commonly asked questions surrounding cycle accident compensation claims. We understand how stressful these types of accidents can be, so if you’re still uncertain about how to proceed feel free to contact us.
What are the most common cycling accident locations?
Most cycling accidents occur in urban areas. Typically, cycle compensation claims can often arise as a result of:
- a motorist emerging into the path of a cyclist
- a motorist turning across the path of a cyclist
- collisions at, or near, a road junction, with T-junctions being most involved in a bike accident
- vehicle and bike impacts at roundabouts
- a parked vehicle opening a door into the path of the cyclist, causing them to swerve or hit the ground
- pedestrians stepping out negligently into the cyclist’s path
- uneven road surfaces, poorly maintained roads, potholes or failure by local authorities to keep the road surface in a safe condition
- accidents as a result of a defective bike or bike part (product liability claims)
I’ve been knocked by a car while cycling. Can I claim compensation?
You can bring a cycling injury claim for any injuries, further health issues or equipment damage if the accident wasn’t your fault.
We recommend you liaise with one of our cycle accident solicitors as soon as possible after the incident. Call us on 0808 164 0808.
How much cycle accident compensation will I receive?
As every cycling accident compensation claim is different, the amount of compensation you receive will depend entirely on your unique situation. The severity of the accident will be taken into account, as this will influence the following:
- How much income you have lost as a result of the accident
- Whether you will have any ongoing, permanent health problems
- The cost of repairs or replacement of your bike
- Whether or not you require home adaptations either temporarily or permanently
If you choose to bring your cycle accident claim with our cycling solicitors, we will endeavour to make sure you are aware of every eventuality within the case.
Do you work on a no win no fee basis?
You will have access to cycling accident no win no fee legal advice if you decide to pursue your claim through our team of personal injury experts. Call us on 0808 164 0808 or request a call back, and we will call you. You can find out more about our cycling lawyers below:
Specialist cycling accident compensation claims solicitors
Injuries as a result of a cycling accident can be severe. Our cycling accident specialists have represented individuals who have sustained a range of injuries including, but not limited to:
- head injuries – ranging from fatal skull fractures and brain injuries to minor concussion and cuts
- spinal injuries
- limb injuries – with over 40% suffering an arm injury and in excess of 25% suffering leg injuries
- psychiatric injury
- chest / abdomen injuries
Catastrophic or fatal cycling accidents
In these situations, our personal injury lawyers will seek to secure early interim compensation payments to ease any financial problems that might occur. We will also consider the appropriateness of personal injury trusts to ensure that benefits are protected, and will work with our private client solicitors to arrange any Court of Protection needs, should the injured individual be unable to manage their own financial affairs.
Contact our cycle accident solicitors today
If you or a loved one have been involved in a cycling collision, call our specialist lawyers today on 0808 164 0808. You can also visit our contact us page for more information, or simply request a call back. If the matter is particularly urgent, we can arrange for a solicitor to meet you at home or at the hospital.
In general you have three years from the date of injury or reasonable knowledge of injury to bring a cycling accident compensation claim. There are some exceptions to this rule for instance where the matter involves a child in which case the child has three years from the date of their 18th birthday to bring a claim, therefore expiring on the individual’s 21st birthday. It is important to speak to a legal team as early as possible to avoid any issues with limitation dates.