The most common type of animal attack involves a dog. Sadly there are too many reports of babies and children (as well as adults) who have suffered life changing injuries or worse because of being attacked by a dog.

Other kinds of personal injury claims involving animals typically involve cattle attacks and horse bucking.

If you have been injured by any animal, whether it be in the street, in a neighbour’s house or at a zoo, safari park or animal sanctuary then you may have a claim for compensation.

Dangerous dogs

If you have been bitten or attacked by a dog then it does not matter how small that dog is. The dog does not have to be of a breed that falls within the Dangerous Dogs Act, which are:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro

However, such attacks by any of the above breeds must be reported to the Police.

Generally, dog attack compensation claims are brought where there is a valid insurance in place. Currently there are no rules which make it illegal not to have insurance. However, in our experience most responsible dog owners do have the relevant insurance in place.

Animals in public places

Animals that are kept in places with public access, such as a zoo or a field with a public right of way, should be controlled and access supervised to protect the public. Any animal which is anxious or frightened can attack and if you are attacked without a visible warning notice about the animal or if it is running free then you can bring a compensation claim.

Injury circumstances

The following are examples of claims made for compensation when injured by an animal

  • bitten by a dog whilst walking along the street or in a park
  • bitten by a dog whilst posting a letter through a letterbox
  • attacked whilst walking along a public right of way through a farmer’s field by a cow who is protecting its calf
  • being bitten by a goat in a farmyard open to the public whilst being allowed to feed it
  • being thrown off a horse who is easily frightened during a riding lesson.

Animal attack claims are usually settled by the insurer for the party liable for your injuries whether this is a private individual or a company or organisation.

Contact us

If you or a loved one have sustained an injury as a result of an animal attack or animal bite and would like to discuss bringing an animal attack or bite compensation claim please call our expert Personal Injury (PI) lawyers on Freephone: 0808 164 0808 for a FREE, no obligation chat. Alternatively, you can complete the request a call back form and we will call you.