Failure to fully explain options, risks and what could potentially go wrong to a patient can have a huge impact on their decision to proceed with medical treatment.
It is usually only when things have gone horribly wrong that it becomes clear what the actual risks or alternative options were. For some people, knowing fully what all of the options and the risks of a procedure involve can change their decision about how or whether to proceed.
Compensation claims for failure to obtain informed consent can take a number of forms. We have a depth of experience in this area and have dealt with very serious cases of failure to obtain informed consent such as:
- failure to fully explain what could go wrong with the procedure
- failure to fully explain what is classified as a successful procedure
- failure to give the patient enough time to consider the risks and make an informed decision
- failure to give the patient a chance to change their mind before the procedure is carried out
- failure to advise the patient of the alternative procedures to enable them to make an informed decision about which option to proceed with.
If you would like to discuss making a claim for compensation as a result of a failure to properly inform you about your options or the risks associated with your procedure please call one of our Clinical and Medical Negligence lawyers on Freephone: 0808 164 0808 for a FREE, no-obligation chat. Alternatively, please complete the request a call back form and we will call you.