Partner – Personal Injury
Steven is a Partner with Lime specialising in serious and catastrophic injuries. He qualified at De Montfort University and is a Senior Litigator Member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers. Steven was the first lawyer in the country to obtain Headway’s Certificate in Brain Injury Studies.
Steven specialises in representing clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries, including: brain and/or serious spinal injuries; multiple fractures; internal injuries; and loss of limbs. Steven has settled numerous cases with damages ranging from in excess of £1m up to £16.25m. In addition, Steven has acted for clients who have suffered industrial injuries, including: mesothelioma; asbestosis; pleural thickening; and vibration white finger.
Steven’s work brings him into close contact with: rehabilitation experts, case managers, care experts, occupational therapists, architects, property finders and medical experts in many different disciplines. The initial stages after an accident can be a very stressful time not only for the client, but their family. Steven regularly requests substantial interim payments to alleviate the financial hardship arising out of an accident. Interim payments can be substantial, covering not only past loss of earnings; but costs for adaptations to the home, and in the more serious cases to purchase a new property and implement the adaptations necessary to meet the client’s needs.
Another important step at the early stage of the claims process is to identify what rehabilitation would help maximise the speed and extent of a client’s recovery. Requests are made to insurers at the outset to fund an initial needs assessment, where a rehabilitation specialist will meet with the client to consider what they may benefit from in terms of treatment, support and equipment.
Steven has close connections with our private client team, who as well as having a Professional Deputy can provide assistance with the Court of Protection and power of attorney issues for clients who lack capacity.
- Spinal cord injury resulting in tetraplegia where an offer of £9.5m was not accepted at mediation resulting in a subsequent offer of £11m.
- A risk offer of £4m for a cyclist who sustained a serious head injury.
- A cyclist who suffered a serious head injury and a spinal cord injury rendering them tetraplegic, where damages were £2m.
- An award of £1.45m for a pedestrian who suffered a serious brain injury.
- An accident at work case originally settled on a provisional damages basis where unfortunately the client did subsequently undergo a below the knee amputation. After obtaining evidence on prosthetics, the claim was eventually settled for a substantially higher additional award of damages.
- A trial success against the MOD for a claim involving allegations of bullying and harassment where significant damages were recovered.
- A Mesothelioma case where secondary exposure to asbestos occurred as a result of our client cleaning her husband’s work overalls.
- A claim for asbestosis and asbestos related pleural thickening involving court proceedings against 11 Defendants.
- A claim for substantial dental expenses for a child suffering injuries in an accident at school.
- A claim for abuse suffered by an infant at a nursery.
Steven is currently acting for a number of clients where the final settlements will run in to many millions of pounds.
When not working, Steven enjoys foreign travel. He recently ticked Angkor Wat off the bucket list during a trip to Cambodia and Laos. Steven has also negotiated the Inca Trail in Peru on his way to see Machu Pitchu.
Many hours are now spent by the side of swimming pools watching his daughter training, waiting nervously for the possible 5am starts.